Why? A little thing called reverse culture shock.
These are the levels of reentry that I apparently must cope with.
1.) Family
You may be expected to fit back into your family but find it difficult to communicate effectively because your family has not shared your experiences overseas. Your family may have difficulty adjusting to your new-found independence and changed values.
2.) Friends
You and your friends may no longer be as close as you once were. You need to be sensitive about discussing your experience with them. You may also miss the friends you made overseas.
3.) School
You may see your campus in a new light. You may also miss the feeling of being part of a close-knit group of students.
4.) Country
Your home culture may no longer be entirely to your liking and you may have the sense that you no longer fit in. In the future you will probably continue to evaluate ideas and events in the context of the broader cultural perspective you have acquired.
5.) Self
You have become accustomed to ha high level of activity and anticipation that your home and campus cannot possibly match. You may feel restless or a bit depressed for a while after you return.
My flight leaves tomorrow night at 11:30.
Today I went to 6 museums I hadn't visited before. All of my gift shopping is done. Sad sad sad. Chile trip post to come later.
4 years ago

2 comments:
can we still be friends when you and i get home?
Hi Mindy,
My name is KC Owens, I’m a college student and I love to travel! While cruising the Internet, I found your site and really enjoyed reading your posts. I have been to countries all over Europe with just my backpack and a camera. Since I am a college student and I have significant bills, it can be difficult to find ways to travel the world. However, I have done this several times, with less than ten pounds of luggage and while on a college dime!
I was hoping that you would allow me to write a post for your site to share my tips and tricks with your readers. I put a lot of time into my traveling, it is my biggest passion and I would love to inspire others by sharing my stories, mistakes and triumphs. I look forward to hearing from you!
Best,
KC Owens
Post a Comment