Tuesday, August 19, 2008

today i kind of found a dream come true

Following the advice of Lucky Magazine and my two handy Buenos Aires guidebooks, I ventured to Palermo Soho this afternoon, three short subway stops from where I usually get on. I had only strolled around the area at night because it is home to some of the best restaurants in the city. Today I discovered its shopping.

Palermo had breathtaking boutique after breathtaking boutique after breathtaking boutique. Makes me click my little red heels together and think, we're not in South America anymore. Every store appeared as though they had hired a top notch interior designer. Even the Nike store deserved a second look. But most stores featured exclusive Argentinian and Buenos Aires designers. And to make it even better, everything is AFFORDABLE. Solid color shirts, think Forever 21 prices. Pants, sweaters, maybe Gap prices.

Visiting somewhere like 5th Avenue for the first time has its excitement, but its essentially window shopping. Unwearable, unaffordable. What strikes me is the market here for a fashion designer...their designs are individual but practical in the sense that they can be bought by the average Argentinian and worn. It's a wonderful outlet for creativity that does not exist for tailor-made fashion in the US or Europe.

And speak of the devil...BAFWeek starts tomorrow! Cost to see it? $6.50.

Is it a coincidence that miniature schnauzers are everywhere here? Probably the most popular breed I've seen. Porteños sure do love their dogs. I haven't taken a picture yet, but once a day I usually run into a professional dog walker handling about 15 humongous dogs. Having Kipper cravings...

No comments: